Monday, January 31, 2005

The first day of class

I'm back into teaching mode today, with the start of the spring semester. I'm teaching two sections of Form and Analysis, two sections of Advanced Musicianship, and Psychology of Music. This is the first time I will be teaching a course on my specialty, which I'm very excited about. It will be mostly music majors or minors, with one psychology major and a few College of Liberal Arts students that I don't think are music minors. In the future I hope to get more psychology majors, but I think for a first outing it will be good to have a fairly homogenous class in terms of musical experience.

I'm trying a new book for Form and Analysis, A Practical Approach to the Study of Form in Music by Peter Spencer and Peter Temko. I like the approach of structural functions and phenomena that this book takes, and the exercises are flexible. Well, time to go to my first lunch meeting of the semester, oh frabjous joy!

No comments: