Saturday, October 20, 2007

Strange Fruit

Today the family went to a pumpkin patch/apple orchard. While browsing through the store for caramel apples, I saw that they were selling tubs of persimmon pulp. I've been curious about persimmons for awhile now, from an Eating the Alphabet book and various roadside farm stands advertising it. And this season the local ice cream parlor has made homemade persimmon ice cream, intriguing me further. So I bought a tub of the pulp, and made persimmon pudding for tonight's dessert. It was incredible, I can't believe I'd been missing this delicacy my whole life. Go get some diaspyros virginiana, "food of the gods," and enjoy this Thanksgiving treat now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been eating persimmons since a small child, although I've never had persimmon pudding. I believe there are actually two types, one more astringent than the other. In any case, they make a great snack.

As fate would have it, I recently bought a bag of persimmons over the weekend, so the pudding recipe you linked to is going into my to-do list!

Lisa Hirsch said...

There are two kinds of persimmons generally available in CA (and grown here, often in back yards): Hachiya and Fuyu. Hachiyas have to be ripened to jelly-like softness to be edible. Fuyus are flattish and can be eaten when firm. A fully ripe Hachiya is amazingly sweet and delicious, but it takes patience and the texture isn't to everyone's liking.