Monday, June 11, 2007

Wherefore Art?

Dave Munger can't just enjoy his vacation, but must pose vexing questions. The comments bring up Cage as a musical referent. Join the fun, and list your own definitions of art. I wrestle with whether there needs to be a creator. Can something accidentally created or naturally occurring be labeled art? I suppose it comes down to a person framing the creation within an artistic perspective, regardless of how the framed thing came into being. And by framing I'm not talking wood and gold paint, but someone standing up and saying, "This I call art. I have placed boundaries on this thing, and regard it as aesthetic." Thus Cage placed boundaries on a period of ambient noise and performance expectations, challenging us to experience it aesthetically.

No comments: