Thursday, September 01, 2005

Looking for a few good ears

Richard Parncutt of the University of Graz is looking for musicians with good aural skills to complete an online questionnaire. The questionnaire attempts to collect data on the origins of aural skills as a means of developing new teaching strategies. I have to warn you, I started filling the questionnaire, but found several of the questions to be confusing. They want a list of experiences before I started practicing music regularly, but then ask if any accompanists inspired me! Quite confusing. Also, what is regular practice? I started on Suzuki violin when I was 6, continuing until I was 10, but I didn't practice nearly enough. I started singing in a high-level boys choir when I was 9, but never practiced at home. I started piano lessons when I was 9, and practiced rather sporadically. I learned how to play the trumpet when I was 11, but didn't start to practice that regularly until I was 13.

But you musicians out there may want to give the questionnaire a try. I will revisit this test later, maybe I just need a good night's sleep!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All that money on music lessons and you practiced sporadically!

Dad

Scott said...

Yup, obviously a waste of time!

Of course, I am looking at it from the perspective of 3 hours every day as true practicing, so perhaps my practicing wasn't so sporadic in grade school terms.

Anonymous said...

I went to look at the online questionnaire and bailed two paragraphs into the introduction. Whose idea was white type on a periwinkle blue background?! It's too close to unreadable for my terrible eyes....