Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Jokes to make a theorist smile

A colleague sent me this one:
Musical intrigue at the bar:

A 'C,' an E-flat, and a 'G' go into a bar. The bartender says: "Sorry,but we don't serve minors." So the E-flat leaves, and the C and the G have an open fifth between them. After a few drinks, the fifth is diminished and the G is out flat. An F comes in and tries to augment the situation, but is not sharp enough.

A 'D' comes into the bar and heads straight for the bathroom saying,"Excuse me. I'll just be a second." Then an A comes into the bar, but the bartender is not convinced that this relative of C is not a minor. Then the bartender notices a B-flat hiding at the end of the bar and exclaims, "Get out now. You're the seventh minor I've found in this bar tonight."

The E-flat, not easily deflated, comes back to the bar the next night in a 3-piece suit with nicely shined shoes. The bartender (who used to have a nice corporate job until his company downsized) says, "You're looking sharp tonight, come on in! This could be a major development." This proves to be the case, as the E-flat takes off the suit, and everything else, and stands there au naturale.

Eventually, the C sobers up, and realizes in horror that he's under a rest. The C is brought to trial, is found guilty of contributing to the diminution of a minor, and is sentenced to 10 years of DS without Coda at an upscale correctional facility.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is funny! Of course, you need to know some theory (most of which I forgot but the joke itself reminded me).

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Scott. That made me chuckle out loud. Which I needed.

Scott said...

Coturnix - yes, it is a wonderful way of reviewing music fundamentals. I think I'll save this for basic theory review sessions.

John - it certainly has been a trying week. I'm making my donation to the Red Cross tonight, and writing a letter to the editor about the lack of preparedness of FEMA.

Anonymous said...

That is so great!!! (I donated to the ARC today - my company is matching employee donations, so...)

Anonymous said...

I have a collection of music jokes that I've... er... collected (Please allow myself to introduce... myself). I'll have to add that one to the... wait for it... here it comes... Liszt (rimshot).

Anonymous said...

300 Education & Student jokes

Dating said...

Thanks, Scott. That made me chuckle out loud. Which I needed