Monday, July 02, 2007

Priorities

My dad is the CEO of a local museum. Yesterday he told me how it has become difficult lately to get charitable donations for the museum. The problem is that one of the local major corporations has decided to stop funding any of the arts or cultural projects, devoting all of its charitable giving to social justice issues. This has a trickle-down effect, as smaller donors shift their giving strategies to cover their priorities, such as the local symphony. So the newest or smallest cultural and arts organizations are feeling the pinch.

As a musician who makes his living in the arts, I feel strongly that our cultural activities must be funded. But I also believe strongly in social justice, so I can't fault those individuals and corporations that prioritize the injustices of the world. Which types of charities do you feel should be supported by individuals, which supported by corporations, and which by the government?

No comments: