Saturday, February 09, 2008

Into the Woods

Last night and today I watched my latest Netflix movie, Stephen Sondheim's musical Into the Woods. I was deeply engrossed by the Broadway production, with fabulous performances and great scene design. I would've kept watching last night through the whole two acts, but held to my Lenten discipline of getting to bed at 10:30. I didn't start watching the DVD until 9:30, after finishing comments on all my students blogged analyses and grading their figured-bass realizations. So I watched more this morning after a nice 6.4 mile run and then finished it this afternoon while the kids were making Valentines. Sondheim used a musical language that was very reminiscent of Sunday in the Park with George or Sweeney Todd, with lots of quick Aaron Sorkin-esqe patter, pointillistic orchestration, and descending minor sevenths and diminished fifths to end vocal phrases. But that language works well for him, and served the story well.

I'd welcome Netflix recommendations of other musicals or operas. I've already seen A Love for Three Oranges, The Rake's Progress, and Rasputin. In my queue are waiting Tales of Hoffmann, Fidelio, Eugene Onegin, and Mlada. I've performed in the pit for the Offenbach, but have never seen the others.

No comments: