Thursday, March 08, 2007

Deep feelings

I've been working at being more in touch with my emotions lately, especially the more extreme levels of those emotions. As I've been doing this, I find that my musical tastes are more definitive, yet changing depending on my current mood. I've always had moments when I've decided I wasn't in the mood to hear a particular piece of music, but those moments are much more common now. And I can't always predict what will work and what will offend. Right now Schubert's Sonata in A minor for cello and piano, second movement works very well, soothing me while still maintaining a complex mix of sadness and hope. A Bach invention would not be appealing, and the "Loseraie dire" currently being performed by Piffaro is pushing it. In fact, I just stopped the performance, and that is not something the old me would have been able to do. Before, I always needed to hear the end of the story. I pay more attention to the lyrics now, if there are any, and the application of those lyrics to my own life. And in general I prefer more complex music, especially music that has complex emotional content.

No comments: