Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Meme this!

I have been called from my Spring Break (wooo!) silence by biologist extraordinaire PZ Meyers. Since he had to take part in a meme, now I have to as well. I better obey, since my family isn't nearly as poised for conquest as his is.


You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

The real question is, do I want to be burned, or try to be preserved? I'd want to seem innocent, but really be subversive. Thus I'd survive, but help change society so books are no longer being burned. Perhaps a Dr. Seuss book, like Horton Hears a Who. Or The Phantom Tollbooth.
(Gah, I now remember what happens in Fahrenheit 451. At the end, each person picks a book to memorize, becoming that book for the short-term future. I would pick a book of poetry, either by ee cummings or Edith Sitwell.)

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Crush, no. There have been characters that I would like to know or be, but none that I wanted to date.

The last book you bought is:

Issola, by Stephen Brust.

The last book you read:

Music, Cognition, and Computerized Sound, edited by Perry Cook.

What are you currently reading?

Witch World, by André Norton. She passed away recently, and I haven't read any of her works.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:

I agree with PZ that they should be long, though they could be shorter but encourage multiple readings.

The complete works of William Shakespeare
Beethoven's Symphonies 5, 6, and 7 (so I can replay them in my mind)
An encyclopedia.
The Blackwell Companion to Philosophy (mine is an older edition, but same idea)
The Real Book (again, to sing them, replay them in my mind, and improvise from)

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons)? And Why?

I'd pick Chad, but he's on a cruise. So I'll go with Helen, as she has fascinating ideas about books; Lynn because she has good taste in Science Fiction; and John because he is the writer man.

No comments: