Saturday, April 26, 2008

You're intellectual in PUBLIC?

The magazine Foreign Policy has produced a list of the top 100 public intellectuals. Sadly, there are no musicians on the list at all. No artists either. There are a few novelists and one playwrite, apparently one must use words to be intellectual. One of the elite, Jacques Attali, did write a book called Noise: The Political Economy of Music. I'm sure it didn't hurt that he is also an editor for the same magazine that made the list. But it is sad that artists are not viewed as intellectual by political figures. There is much truth in art, all of it meant for public consumption. Ahh, I'm too tired to continue. To bed, hoping that my cats will finish my grading for me. It's not like they go to sleep!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hold on, mate, Daniel Barenboim is there! But I don't imagine he is there for his consciousness-altering performances of Beethoven...

Scott said...

Ah, I missed that. Yes, it looks like he is there for being a peace activist. He accepted Palestinian citizenship along with his citizenships in Argentina, Israel, and Spain. And he co-founded a West-Eastern youth orchestra with Edward Said which he has conducted in Ramallah. Finally, he performed Wagner in Israel, though the politics is what was notable, not the actual performance.

I blame Budweiser for causing me to make that mistake. Drinking a clearly inferior beer (ah, I should do an IPA of the Aussie pronunciation) has weakened my cognitive abilities.