Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Authors and Music, Living Together, mass hysteria!

I'm sure there's a better Ghostbusters paraphrase in there, but that's the best I could come up with in my fluid-dripping state. Anywho, the NY Times Book Review has a blog called Paper Cuts. And every Wednesday intrepid editor Dwight Garner will ask an author to provide a playlist, called Living With Music. Here is the first entry, by George Saunders. At least with authors we can count on some interesting listening choices, unlike other types of celebrities. I like how he equates some of the pieces with various authors or books, like with DSCH's SQ8: "This puts me in mind of Isaac Babel, Gogol, St. Petersburg and the great Russian moral darkness. So dark, it’s light." Other classical composers mentioned: John Adams (twice!), Aaron Copland, and Philip Glass (and not the typical choices either).

No comments: