Friday, September 17, 2004

Reading Pleasures

It's Friday, I'm finally on antibiotics to combat this nefarious sinus infection, and I want to write something. I've been doing quite a bit of reading lately, so I thought I'd list what I read in the last month.

Lois McMaster Bujold: Shards of Honor, Barrayar, Brothers in Arms, Borders of Infinity, The Warrior's Apprentice, and The Vor Game. Many of the books in the Miles Vorkosigan series, a re-read in all cases. I wanted to re-read A Civil Campaign, but I can't find my copy.

Terry Pratchett: Soul Music, Interesting Times, and Maskerade. Also re-reads. I got a ton of Pratchett books during the two weeks when I was left in an empty house in Minnesota after my family had moved to Indiana. I tore through them then, so this time I tried to slow down and enjoy the jokes more.

Steven Brust: Orca. Another re-read from the Minnesota collection. At some time I need to get a hold of the latest Vlad Taltos books, and give the Khraaven series a go as well.

John Shelby Spong: Resurrection: Myth or Reality?. I'm still reading this one, on assignment from milady. It is somewhat interesting, though I suspect it is another ploy on her part to convert me. I do need to get cracking, as it is due back at the public library soon.

Ursula K. LeGuin: The Left Hand of Darkness. The university library has an ungodly number of science fiction books, thanks to the fact that the journal Science Fiction Studies is published here. I've been working my way backwards through the Hugo awards list, sometimes pausing to read other works by the same author. I'm about 2/3 done with this book, and will probably finish it this weekend. It is very interesting, especially the mix of viewpoints, folk tales, and official reports.

Anthony Kemp: The Musical Temperament. This is also partially read, in my Psychology of Music series of readings. It is very interesting, with a great introduction to personality psychology at the beginning.

I also read a bunch of journal articles, but won't bore you with those. I note that I need to diversify my pleasure readings a bit more, perhaps a few classics and some biographies or histories. I'd be happy to entertain suggestions.

No comments: