Monday, February 21, 2005

Waay too much time on his hands...

I feel like this video was made just for me. Well, perhaps my wife, as she is a trumpeter from the University of Friggin' Michigan. While I don't agree with all the sentiments expressed in the video, it makes me happy that the students learned enough about the music to mock it. (And the Mussorgsky vs. Stravinsky battle is trumpetastic.)

Oh, Fred? The microwave oven is clearly a reference to the stochastic music of Xenakis. Just as the microwave randomly scrambles the water molecules in your burrito, Xenakis randomly scrambled the pitches in his tone rows. Granted, the point could have been made more obvious with the inclusion of a kitchen sieve on top of the microwave, but perhaps that would have put them over budget.

No comments: