Monday, February 28, 2005

I have a blog?

It's been a hectic time at the DePauw University School of Music. Two weeks ago the annual opera was staged, a racy version of Offenbach's Orpheus in the Underworld. One of my colleagues wants to know why his children, who don't watch TV and weren't told about the Can Can, fixated on that one number from the two-hour opera. He thinks there is something within "catchy tunes" that, um... catches the brain regardless of experience. Any thoughts?

These last two weeks, Joseph Flummerfelt (DePauw class of '58) was on campus to coach the choirs and lead masterclasses in conducting. He has wonderful thoughts about performing music, clearly influenced by his work with Leonard Bernstein. Both men have stated that performing music should feel as if the performer is composing or improvising the music right on the spot.

Last Friday, I gave a talk on class blogs to other DePauw faculty. It was well received, and a good practice for presentations I hope to make at theory conferences.

This Thursday is the beginning of Music in the 21st Century, with guest composer Augusta Read Thomas. I'm moderating a question/answer session with Augusta on Thursday, performing in a fanfare on Thursday and Sunday, and have organized a student symposium for Saturday afternoon. I also helped to organize the composition masterclass on Friday night.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've been rather busy. Oh, welcome to all visitors from the Tangled Bank. Have fun, and please make comments.

No comments: