1. [klang~440]: Two good posts by this student timpanist. First, a short description of a finding I also heard about, how mosquitoes only mate when they can adjust their buzzes to make a perfect fifth. The second post is more extensive, about the Philidor March for 4 kettledrums, and a good Christmas gig story.
2. The Sibelian Conspiracy: Meeting and discussion in London. What do you call a collection of composers?
3. Feast of Music: Tough Times. Peter Matthews thinks small groups will thrive where orchestras and operas will suffer, and perhaps for the better. "cultural Darwinism."
4. The View from Here: Muti – CSO – Verdi Requiem – what more is there to say? Apparently plenty, as Andrew Patner continues with a full review of Muti's first concert as music director designate with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
5. Mahler Owes Me Ten Bucks: Dress code. Chantal has a few choice words for her fellow female musicians about how they should dress when on stage, at least when in an orchestra.