Sunday, May 30, 2004

A thin line between post-modern genius and hackery

First, I have to say that I have not seen the new Troy movie yet, nor plan to until it is available at Blockbuster. But I found the following review both hilarious and tempting. I want to hear the references myself, especially the mind-numbing idea of the Groban reworking of Vaughan Williams. I also want to make a list of all the examples of thievery that Horner has committed in this film and his previous entries, but that has already been done.

So I will resign myself to offering a different take on the inclusion of Britten in Horner's masterful "deconstructive requotation." The War Requiem was written as a denunciation of war, though ostensibly to celebrate the rebuilding of Coventry Cathedral. Britten felt that all war was wicked and wrong, including World War II, which is usually cited as the paragon of the "just war." By simplifying Britten's music into trite martial fanfares, Horner is capturing the hopelessness of preventing future war. Pacifism becomes jingoism by misconstrual and dumbing down of ideals. Horner has created a statement of pure genius. Or the man is a hack.

No comments: